Monday, July 23, 2007

Pock 10 on the Button against a 4 tabling Tag

I was playing tight passive. I was running around 21/10/1.3 over 75 hands. I like be passive preflop and play flops. I tend to be aggressive post flop vs the lags/loose passives and passive vs the tags ( my normal total agg is around 2.5).

This might be a leak in my game. I'm thinking of experimenting with a more aggressive pre flop game so I can take down more small pots and better define villain hand ranges. Something around 20/18/3.

Hand in question.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1290749

Villian saw me make a donk play vs a unknown. (This is definitely a big leak in my game, Fancy Play Syndrome vs unknowns).

My donk hand. I need to fix this leak.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1290741

Villian was a 4 tabling Tag (probably around 20/17/2.5 over 60 hands). My PAHud wasn't working at the time so I didn't have any stats on him. I'm looking at his stats right now and he played 27/23/6 over 158 hands. He probably Taged it up in the beginning and opened up his game afterwards with reads. He seemed pretty ABC post flop and wasn't getting to showdown very much.

How would you play Pock 10 on the button? Preflop, flop, and turn? I was just hoping he was bluffing because I didn't have any reads on him. He probably had JJ-AA, AK, AQ, AJ. He might be on a random bluff because he's betting awfully thin on the river when the 4 to the str8 hits. I doubt he has a set or two pairs because he wouldn't 3 bet me preflop with a small pocket pair or garbage on the SB given my tight passive image.

thanks,

AppleSeed

4 comments:

Marc said...

Like the last hand, I would normally reraise preflop or raise this flop (especially if he saw you making a donk play earlier, as he may think you're just bluffing). I'd probably let go of this on the turn, but since you called, the river call is OK.

Gregory Lynn said...

I agree with Marc, mostly. I don't think I would make another raise preflop since hitting sets against people who have indicated they really like their hand is really profitable but I would raise that flop most of the time.

PGK said...

We seem to have similar leaks. I played a hand the other day with QQ so badly it would make your head spin. But it was like your TT hand in that I got reraised PF and then called and just check called thinking he had AA/KK but not wanting to fold my hand. Instead I could have reraised preflop and had a much better idea of what I was against for the same money. I laid it down on a J94J board in the end thinking I couldn't beat much.

The 65 hand is a little fancy play syndrome, again something I am trying to fix. At this level we don't need to be tricky, straightforward will work.

Pete

AppleSeed2082 said...

Results

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1303329

I like my preflop play. My hand is disguised and if I hit a set I will get paid off vs a tight passive.

I agree, this is like the other hand. I need to raise the scary 3 str8 flop and see where I stand. I'm should raise somewhere between 2-3x his bet.

If he calls, shut down. If he re raises, I can safely fold.

Now, I just need to remember to implement these strategies. Tougher said than done.