Friday, September 19, 2008

Possibly Hiring a Poker Coach and a interesting hand

I saw a post by Matt "Probability" Young and he was offering a 6 hour ($150 total) group lesson for 4 poker players. I pm Matt and he's currently trying to set up a group within 2 weeks.

I feel my game is very solid right now but I feel I can open it up a little and be more creative in extracting value postflop. So in order to do that, I need to develop hand reading and put villain on hand ranges.

Take this hand for example at Cake Poker.

$0.25/$0.5 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($22.35)
UTG+1
($92.80)
CO
($49.25)
Hero
($129.40)
SB
($26.10)
BB
($37.15)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 6 players) Hero is BTN

3 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, 1 fold, BB calls $1.25

I open the BTN looking to steal from the tight blinds. Once he calls, I'm going to be firing almost any flop because villain will be c/f alot.

Flop: ($3.75, 2 players)
BB bets $3, Hero raises to $9, BB calls $6

Villain leads into me and I have gut shot str8 and a flush draw with one over. I have no idea what villain leads with but I was willing to raise/shove on this flop for stacks. Against a tight villain range, I'm probably going to be 50/50 and he might fold some of his hands that he leads with. So I guess that's +EV for me and I'll show a profit by raising his lead on this low flop.

Once Villain lead/calls, Villain def has a flush draw/made hand. Possibly slow playing a flop set but unlikely because he should want to get it in on this flop. Maybe even a overpair pock 7-9 and he's looking for a safe turn card to get it in on. I don't expect him to show up with pock 10+ because most sstacks would 3 bet preflop.

Turn: ($21.75, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Once villain checks and I hit a pair, I check it down for pot control. I don't think villain would c/c anything I beat right now.

River: ($21.75, 2 players)
BB bets $8

I tried putting villain on a hand range when he lead into me. Villain could have 45,56,57,68, pock 2-9 and a higher flush. Rarely showing up with pock 10-A because most sstackers would 3 bet preflop.

What do you guys think? Shove for value on river or just call? Play any streets different?

4 comments:

LuckySOB said...

don't forget to get you football pick in

Anonymous said...

wow, wayyy to much thought put into that hand. The opponent doesn't even have a full stack. The raise on the flop is a bit spewy, easy jam on the river.

LuckySOB said...

pick, don't forget your pick

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.