Sunday, March 2, 2008

CR friend "Screenw" and March Goals

I met "Screenw" (Winthrop) by chance while chatting at CR about a year ago. He's finally realized that he wants to be successful at poker after reading Ezmogee's (Ezra) blog post at CR. Ezra basically said that anyone could be successful at poker through hard work because there are so many resources available to help you improve. There are poker books, poker training sites, and friends who like to discuss poker strategy over the internet.

Winthrop has played all the way up to $100 NLHE SH but has dropped down to $10 and $25 NLHE SH for personal reasons. He plans to rebuild at the micro stakes and eventually be back at his regular $100 game. Through hard work, Winthrop will accomplish that goal within 2-3 months.

While sweating Winthrop 2 table $10 NLHE SH @ UB. I realized that I've been playing way too fancy. I've been making plays and hero calls with very few reads. I want to reach a point where I play near perfect and make the correct decisions on every street with the information I currently have. I want to have a well balance game where my bet's get respect from the better players/donks and I'm loose enough where I will get called down lightly.

I saw a lot of things that Winthrop does well that I need to start doing consistently. Give unknowns respect and learn to fold med/strong hands when facing heat post flop. Just explaining why I do the things I do to him made me realize that I don't always play my A game. It would be totally sick if I brought my A game all the time. I would be up an additional 30-50 buy ins lifetime. I guess I'm trying to chase perfection.


March Goals.

1) Play 20k hands

2)Play A game or quit immediately

3)No Hero calls without reads

4)3 buy in stop loss for one day

5)Read Professional No Limit Holdem & The Poker Mindset

6)Attend weekly group sweats

7)Post at least one tricky/tough hand per session at CR

8)Respond to 2 hand history post per day at CR

9)Update Poker blog 2-3 times a week

10)Respond to all relevant blog posts involving strategy/hands

11)Watch 2-4 CR , Trikkur, or Deucescracked videos/week

If I accomplish all these goals, the results will take care of itself and I should be moving up to 1/2 NLHE SH within 2-3 months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very good goals John. I look forward to your blog updates, no doubt you will be at 200NL soon enough!