Thursday, March 13, 2008

Crazy 2/4 HU NLHE Match

Hand 1)
I bought in for $200 and took a shot. This is the first hand. I knew this guy liked to call preflop and bluff when check to because of data mine/hands I observed.

Hand 2)
Typical style that he would play. He would lead pot and shut down on turn and river with air. I limped BTN because this villain was aggro pre and never really folded.

Hand 3)
Villain leads pot on flop. I call and don't want to play a big pot. All I have is a bluff catcher. Turn is check check. Villain pots river and I call hoping to catch a bluff.

Hand 4)
I limp/call BTN because this guy is so aggro. I'm trying to play small pots. Villain lead pots and I shove. Villain calls and I lose with TPWK vs his overpair 99. I reload and take one final shot. I have a solid read on him but he's just holding the deck over me.

Hand 5)
I defend with 98o. I c/r mini and take a stand with a gutshot str8 and two overs. Villain bet/min 3 bet and I call. I hit my tpgk on the turn and intend to c/r shove but he checks. I check again hoping to induce a river bluff but he checks behind with 2nd pair.

Hand 6)
Hero Call on the River. I'm giving this guy no credit when he checks the flop and turn.

Hand 7)
Another Hero Call. I didn't want to play a big pot when the K high 2 flush flop. K hits turn and it goes check check. I don't think he does this with trips. He pots river and I make the call thinking he's betting the miss flush draw or Jack.

Hand 8)
I limp BTN to keep pot small IP. I 3x raise his flop lead with trips and call his 3 bet. I think I'm ahead when he checks the turn and calls. Ugly river card and I just check because the flush really hit's his flop leading range.

Hand 9)
I open raise BTN pock 6. I call villain pot lead on a AA5 2 flush flop. I don't think he does this with trip Aces. Possibly a flush draw, pair of 5 or random air. Villain checks and I make a reverse blocker bet. River goes check check and Villain wins with his turn pair. Pretty brutal.

Hand 10)
Limp pot. I'm on the BB. I c/r my flop top and bottom two pair. I don't think this guy ever folds his flush draw. Turn bet for value. River bet my FB for value and villain mini r and I shove. Villain had total air and could not call. I'm pretty sure he calls with a turn King.

Hand 11)
I try to stack him with pock 2 on a 998 flop. Dame, he has a Q8o.

Hand 12)
Flop the nuts but lose to the back door flush. This one def put me on tilt because I thought I was going to stack him.

Hand 13)
Preflop:
I open r 910o BTN and call his 3 bet. We're deep so I defend hoping to flop two pair or better and stack him.

Flop:
Villain lead pots on the A76 2 flush flop. I call and hope to catch the 8 or take it away if check to on the turn. Villain could be leading with anything.

Turn:
Once villain checks, I don't think he has an Ace, K or flush because he would bet it. I decide to bluff at it and take it away with a 3/4 pot bet. Villain calls and I'm praying to god he doesn't shove the river.

River:
Once he checks the river, I have no choice but to shove because 10 high is no good. I vowed that if he folded, I would quit this session. My prayers were answered and he folded without hitting time request. Villain said he had pock Q. Thank god he gave me credit for a hand because I hadn't been caught bluffing too much in this session.


This guy was crazy and I couldn't really put him on a hand. Once he started giving me credit toward the end of the session I opened up my game. I would never try to bluff this guy in the beginning in med/big pots because he never folded post flop. I would make standard c bets but wouldn't really double or triple barrel this guy. He couldn't fold draws or a pair. If I had a bigger bankroll, I would play this guy all day.

We played for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I won $243.40 over 227 hands. This was a very high variance match. I could of easily lost 1-2 bi and hurt my BR. I don't mind my shot but I have to wonder if it is worth the risk? It could put me on perma tilt and make me play my B-C game for the next few thousand hands.

3 comments:

Ian Little said...

What made you take this shot? You're playing 50NL, why not play HU at 50???

AppleSeed2082 said...

I had this guy on my PT Database and I looked over his hands. He played very crazy and I thought I could exploit it by slowplaying. I had him on SB and he was sitting at a 2/4 NLHE HU table. I observed 50 hands or so and I told myself, I can take this guy....etc.

Def a very high variance shot and don't really recommend it to anyone.

Ian Little said...

I have to congratulate you on your result and say "well played" for hunting this guy down, but I think your reasoning is extremely high variance, and one which would damage your BR if practised often. You are a good enough player not to have to take this kind of shot. Do it at 50 or 100, with your style you'd probably make a very good HU player.