Monday, February 18, 2008

Group Sweat & Back at $100 nl he sh @ FTP

Just finished a group sweat where Kevin (Moniker) played 4 tables of $100 nl he sh at Absolute Poker. I learned a lot of new lines that I will try to incorporate into my game. Please check out Kevin's blog for a summary of today's group sweat. There were a lot of interesting spots that came up and great discussion afterwards.

As for me, I'm finally backed at $100 nl he sh. I played about 500 hands after the group sweat and ran great. I actually was data mining 16 tables while I was in the group sweat. After we were done, I fired up 4 tables and played for about 1 1/2 hours. I picked tables where there were loose passive players with decent size stacks. I didn't want to sit in with sstacks.

Check out my PT stats. I played very loose aggressive on the CO/BTN preflop because the blinds kept folding. When they played back, I would just fold to their 3 bet unless I had a big hand.

I wasn't too aggressive on the flop, turn or river because villains kept donk leading into me and I called for pot control with big/med strength hands. I flopped a few top sets and slow played them for value. I also made a nice call and shove on the river. Overall, I played very well and wouldn't do anything different based on the info I had at the time.



Check out these crazy hands.

Hand 1) Nice Call Donkey

Hand 2) Which gave me a real aggro image which I used in this 300 bb plus pot. UTG+1 is the same villain who bet/call my turn shove with a gut shot str8 with A2o in Hand 1

Hand 3) Slowplaying flop Top Set when I had a LAG image. Same table as hand 1 & 2

Hand 4) Taking advantage of my loose image. Pock A get's paid off preflop

Hand 5) Slowplaying turn str8 and shoving river for value on scary board vs 7/10 stack donk who limped on SB preflop

Hand 6) Delayed C bet and mini raise river for value on scary low board vs tricky loose passive

Hand 7.

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
5 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($98.00)
CO
($112.80)
BTN
($252.10)
SB
($9.00)
Hero
($105.15)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 5 players) Hero is BB

UTG raises to $3.5, 1 fold, BTN calls $3.5, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.5

I defend BB with 78o vs UTG Tag and BTN Lag. I hope to flop big and win a nice size pot.

Flop: ($11, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets $11, Hero calls $11, UTG folds

I c/c for pot control I think BTN bet's all his flush draws, str8 draws, overs, and big hands. I don't want to play a big pot OOP.

Turn: ($33, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

I check and Villain checks. If villain bets on the turn, I probably have to fold or shove all in. I lean toward a fold and will look for a better spot.

River: ($33, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $25, Hero calls $25

I check and BTN bets $25 into a $33 pot. A 4 str8 hits on the river. Any Ace or 6 makes a str8. I don't think villain bet's this big with a str8 because I look very weak when I c/c flop, c turn, and c river. I don't think villain has an overpair or top pair because he would had bet on the turn to protect his hand. Once he bets, $25 into a $33 pot I have to put him on air or a str8. I doubt this guy value bet's thin on the river.

Final Pot: $83
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $80 ( won +$40.5 )
BTN lost -$39.50
UTG lost -$3.50


Hand 8) I flop top set vs the same villain who I caught bluffing on Hand 9. I intend to trap him for a big pot but he folds to my turn mini raise

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hand 1: I am not sure what I think here. What range are you putting villain on? I think you can count on 12 outs most of the time, but I am not sure if you can count on the 10 or Q being outs. It is a marginal spot and I am working on going with marginal spots, so I don't mind the play. However, by waiting until the turn to make your play, you are cutting your equity against villain's range in half, so I like more aggression on the flop here against the shorty.

Hand 2: Nice.

Hand 3: Well played.

Hand 4: Nice. I might size that 4-bet a little smaller, say $31, but that is being pretty picky.

Hand 5: I don't like the turn flat call with the flush draw out there. I'd rather get it in on the turn.

Hand 6: I prefer to bet that flop. Again, when you play that hand aggressively on the turn, your equity is cut in half against the villain's range by having only one card to see. I would be interested in other people's thoughts. What are you trying to rep here on the turn?

Hand 7: FOld preflop.

Hand 8: I think I bet that flop. I mean, to me at least, it looks really suspicious when a LAG decides to check behind. That is not their standard play.

LuckySOB said...

Hand 1, 5, and 6 you need to be more aggro early to protect and get max value....don't get stuck into playing trappy or slow playing hands, it only pays off vs huge donks and is -EV long term.

I fold 7 PF, but great read on the river and nice call.

M0NIKER said...

Hand #7 is a pretty sick read (and I definitely fold it preflop). However, I think that in the longrun making that play is definitely -ev. I would *not* get into the habit of making hero calls like that.

Also agree with Jason about not getting caught up with playing trappy. You really need to be working on playing more aggressively early on in the hands.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 1.
SB was def Tight passive. BB was Tight passive too, so I had him on AK,1010-AA. His small preflop 3 bet screamed strength.

Flop: Once BB check the flop, I thought he had a monster so I was checking to get a free card on the turn.

Now looking back at it. If i'm going to be calling light on the BTN, I should bet the flop with my gut shot str8/flush draw with 2 overs. That is exactly the flop I want, other than the nuts.

If SB raises big or calls I can fold or shutdown turn and get a free card on the river.

If SB folds and BB shoves, i'll just call and gamble with him because he only had $61 in his stack.

Turn: Once he overbetted, I thought he had nothing and shoved. Even if he had a monster, I still had alot of outs so I didn't mind if he called. I just didn't think he would call with A2o. Dame.

Long run, I think betting flop is the better play.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 5.
I didn't raise on the turn because I thought he would fold Jx or a flush draw. I also wanted to disguise my hand and make myself look weak too.

Once the backdoor flush hit on the river, I just shoved thinking this guy can pay me off with alot of hands he's betting with on the flop, turn and river. My shove also looks like a missed flop flush draw to this villain.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 6.

I didn't bet the flop because I didn't want to play a big pot with just 2 overs and a flush draw with a tricky loose passive.

I thought a delayed c bet would look stronger and I would be happy to take the pot down on the turn.

Once he c/r on the turn. I called looking to hit.

I hit and just mini raise for a little value. any 6 makes a str8 and I just made the flush.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 7.
I think this might be a leak defending 78o on the BB. I'm taking way too much heat playing this OOP vs a tag and lag.

If i play this, i should be looking to make a play on dry flops.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 8.
I think i might had lost value here mini raising the turn.

I had a nice read on this guy. This guy loved to bluff and get me to fold. Therefore, I checked the flop and didn't mind if the flush draw hit.

I could give this guy more rope on the turn and not mini raise. However, I don't mind it either because we were deep and I wanted to build the pot for a bigger value bet on the river.

Unknown said...

Check out my post titled "Challenge". You up for it? Make a comment there if you are tonight, since it starts tomorrow.