Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Group Sweat Summary

I played 4 tables of $100 nl he sh @ FTP last night while Brian, Kevin, and Ian sweated. All 3 guys gave me new ideas that I will try to implement into my game. Ian and Kevin highly recommended Professional No Limit Holdem and The Poker Mindset for all of us to read. I already ordered The Poker Mindset at FTP and will go buy Professional No Limit HE at Borders.

Here are 5 interesting hands that came up and was discussed afterwards.

Hand 1.
$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($117.95)
UTG+1
($217.05)
CO
($89.75)
BTN
($99.60)
SB
($30.20)
Hero
($100.00)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is BB

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $3.5, CO calls $3.5, 2 folds, Hero raises to $17, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $13.5

This was my first hand and I had data mined stats on UTG +1 (23/20/5 over 800 hands) and CO (47/7/0.7 over 75 hands). I just sat down at the table and I squeezed to $17 guessing that UTG +1 was a solid player who would give a unknown respect.

UTG+1 looked very weak CC behind on the CO. I also wanted to get a loose aggressive image early on so that I can get paid off when I picked up a hand.

UTG+1 folds and CO Calls. I don't know what CO has but it's seems pretty wide and weak.


Flop: ($38, 2 players)
Hero bets $24, 1 fold

I c bet about 2/3 pot and hope to take it down. I plan to bet/fold or if called. Possibly double barrel a high card J,K,A, spade on the turn or shut down if the turn is a blank.

Final Pot: $38

Hero wins $60.1 ( won +$19.1 )
UTG+1 lost -$3.50
CO lost -$17.00

Hand 1 Discussion.
The Group didn't like this play because the original raiser could be very strong because his opening range UTG+1 is small. My hand could easily be dominated by AQ or AK. If a A or J high flop hits and I get played back it, I could be drawing to 3 outs or worst OOP.

They feel that it is better to just call or fold and play it safely. They would prefer if the original raiser was on the Co/BTN in order for me to 3 bet out of the BB.

In hindsight, 3 betting the CO/BTN is much better because Villain's range will be much wider there than UTG+1.

Hand 2.
$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($156.55)
UTG+1
($102.70)
CO
($238.35)
BTN
($101.15)
Hero
($99.00)
BB
($49.05)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is SB

3 folds, BTN raises to $3.5, Hero calls $3, 1 fold

BTN (22/17/4.4 over 500 hands) open raises to $3.5 and I decide to set mine. BB folds and we're heads up. I was playing str8 forward OOP at this table, probably running 19/16/7 over 45 hands or so.

Flop: ($8, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $5, Hero raises to $13.5, BTN folds

I check and he insta $5 bet. My instinct told me he was weak because if he had a hand he would of thought about his bet. I decided to c/r to $13.5 and villain folded.

Final Pot: $18

Hero wins $25.6 ( won +$8.6 )
BTN lost -$8.50

Hand 2 Discussion.
The group thought that I should had 3 bet the BTN and take it down preflop. BTN would not have a hand enough of the time for me to get paid off if I hit my set. BTN attempt to steal was around 30%.

In hindsight, I should def 3 bet this and continue with a c bet if called. They also thought the c/r was bad because that hit's his range better than mine. I can only rep 910, pock 2, and JQ. BTN could have Pock J, Pock Q, AQ, AJ, overpair or a random bluff. BTN could also float and see what I do on the turn and take it if I showed weakness by checking.


Hand 3.
$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
Hero
($104.00)
UTG+1
($170.20)
CO
($100.00)
BTN
($77.20)
SB
($100.00)
BB
($18.30)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is UTG

Hero raises to $3.5, 3 folds, SB calls $3, 1 fold

Standard open r with AKd UTG. Folded around to SB (22/17/4.4 over 500 hands) who calls and BB folds. Pot is HU.

SB is the same villain in hand 2, however this was on a different table. This hand occured 8 minutes after I had c/r with pock 8 vs him to take down the pot. I did not factor that in into this hand though. In his eyes, I'm a little on the loose aggressive side running around 22/20/17 over about 45 hands or so.

Flop: ($8, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

I was 50/50 on whether I should bet this. I decided to make a delayed c bet and see what he would do on the turn.

Turn: ($8, 2 players)
SB bets $8, Hero calls $8

SB leads pot and I call because I look very weak when I check the flop. I also hit tptk and have showdown value.

River: ($24, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Ugly card because the 4 flush hit the river. I thought about turning my hand into a bluff because I didn't want to see him luck sack into a small flush and felt I could get him off of it.

The group strongly recommended I not bluff this because I had showdown value, so I went against my instinct and checked it down.
Final Pot: $24
SB shows:
Hero shows:

SB wins $22.8 ( won +$11.3 )
Hero lost -$11.50

Hand 3 Discussion.
The group thought I should had c bet the flop and turn my hand into a bluff. It's more credible because I will be betting a naked Ac all day there. Once I check, my hand looks very weak. I had to call the turn pot lead because I had induce a bet by checking the flop. Once the 4 flush hit, the group thought that he could be intending to c/c with a weaker flush or be on a total bluff.

The group didn't see any real value in turning my hand into a bluff because nothing I beat would ever call and I had showdown value.

In hindsight, I misplayed the hand on the flop. I need to bet this and rep the Ac and shutdown if called or fold if raised. I also went against my instinct but oh well. I'm experimenting with new lines and mistakes are to be expected.


Hand 4.
$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($48.95)
Hero
($163.15)
CO
($121.60)
BTN
($124.70)
SB
($135.05)
BB
($38.70)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1

1 fold, Hero raises to $3.5, 3 folds, BB raises to $8, Hero calls $4.5

Standard open raise with pock 9 UTG+1. Folded to BB (41/11/0.7 over 150 hands) who raises very small to $8 with a $38.70 stack. The small raise screamed monster. However, I'm calling such a small raise and want to see a flop. I intend to fold if he bets 2/3 or 3/4 pot or so on a high card flop.

Flop: ($16.5, 2 players)
BB goes all-in $30.7, Hero calls $30.7

BB shoves and my instinct tells me he doesn't have a big hand. Why would he shove with a hand? I had a little history with BB.

Just 10 minutes ago at this table he limp/call my BTN raise to $5.50. SB called and he called. 3 way. I'm holding AQo.

Flop: 2h 3s Jd (pot = $18.50) I was going to bet $13.5 but timed out by accident.

Turn: Ah (pot = $18.50) It is check back to me and I bet $13.50. SB folds and he calls.

River: As (pot = $45.50) He checks and I value bet $29.50 and expect to get called by a Jack or mid pair. He c/c and shows up with A8d for river trips. wow, no raise? I win with trip Aces with the Q kicker.

Basically, this guy is very loose passive. He doesn't bet his big hands. Therefore, when he shoved the flop. I thought, no way this guy has a hand. He doesn't bet them so I called. I was wrong but I rivered my set on the river.

Turn: ($77.9, 2 players)

River: ($77.9, 2 players)

Final Pot: $77.90
BB shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $74.9 ( won +$36.2 )
BB lost -$38.70

Hand 4 Discussion.
The group thought that I should had shoved or folded pre flop. The flop could bring too many overs and scare me into a fold if he c bets.

In hindsight, a call is very bad here because he's betting any flop. I should def fold or shove pre flop.

Hand 5.
$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
5 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG
($230.85)
CO
($40.00)
Hero
($100.00)
SB
($105.50)
BB
($100.00)

[CO posted $1]
Pre-flop: ($2.5, 5 players) Hero is BTN

1 fold, CO checks, Hero raises to $4.5, SB raises to $17.5, 1 fold, CO folds, Hero goes all-in $100, SB folds

CO posts and I raise it up to $4.5 with pock A on the BTN. SB (17/14/3.4 over 1k hands) 3 bets to $17.50 and I shove. SB tanks it and folds.

I wasn't thinking str8 on this hand. The
Last Hand affected my play on this hand. I thought SB might of thought I was tilted and call my shove much lighter than usual. SB was very TAG so I thought he was 3 betting me with a big hand and would never fold to my shove. I was wrong and he folded to my shove.

I was running 22/20/17 over 100 hands at this table.

Final Pot: $37

Hero wins $119.5 ( won +$19.5 )
CO lost -$1.00
SB lost -$17.50

Hand 5 Discussion.
The group didn't like my BTN shove when a TAG 3 betted me on the SB. They felt that a call would be better and allow him to hang himself on the flop if he was 3 betting me light because my attempt to steal was around 50% on the CO/BTN.

In hindsight, a call is better than a shove. The pot would had been around $36 and SB would had c betted $25 or more. I could shove and he would basically call with most of his SB c betting range when he only had $50-60 left in his stack.



Conclusion:
Overall, I played alright and made a bi over 381 hands. I made a few mistakes by not getting max value on pock A hand and making one bad read with pock 9. Please leave a comment/question if you happen to read my analysis. My poker group and I would appreciate it. Gl at the tables.

To Brian, Kevin, and Ian. If I misinterpreted what you said in discussion, please clear it up with a comment or two. tks.

2 comments:

Ian Little said...

Nice summary of the session. I think if you learn to pick your spots a little better, you will become a very dangerous 6 max NLHE player.

Unknown said...

I agree with luckbox. The summary is solid and we got into some situations where e definitely learned a good deal, I think.